We have reached the difficult decision to reschedule Sports Day from this Friday 17th June to our reserve date of Friday 1st July. In taking this decision, I am very aware that people will have made arrangements with work to be available to attend and it is disappointing to disrupt those plans, but my primary concern has to be for the welfare of the children. The situation has developed over the course of today and there is now a Level 3 Heat Health Alert being issued by the Government’s UK Health Security Agency –
The advice for Level 3 is as follows:
- look out for those who may struggle to keep themselves cool and hydrated – older people, those with underlying conditions and those who live alone are particularly at risk
- stay cool indoors by closing curtains on rooms that face the sun – and remember that it may be cooler outdoors than indoors
- drink plenty of fluids and avoid excess alcohol
- never leave anyone in a closed, parked vehicle, especially infants, young children or animals
- try to keep out of the sun between 11am to 3pm, when the UV rays are strongest
- walk in the shade, apply sunscreen and wear a wide-brimmed hat, if you have to go out in the heat
- avoid physical exertion in the hottest parts of the day
- make sure you take water with you if you are travelling
- take care and make sure to follow local safety advice if you are going into the water to cool down
Arrangements for sports day would have mitigated against the vast majority of these concerns, but we cannot get around the fact that sports day would lead to physical exertion during the hottest parts of the day. We considered a very early morning start – but this would only avoid the extreme heat for one Key Stage – which would require running a different date for the other Key Stage and causing parents and carers of some children to need to book two separate dates away from work.
We are aware that children will still have lunch break during the heat of the day, but we will limit their time outside and require children to play in the shade for much of the time. The exertion children undertake at lunchtime is not comparable with children running multiple events under race conditions, with the excitement of performing in front of peers and parents/carers.
Taking all of this into account, it would be irresponsible for us to go ahead, so with regret, the event is postponed and we look forward to seeing you all on 1st July.